Sunday, January 25, 2009

Eberron 4e

I feel like I'm writing this for myself, since none of the group ever actually comments (or emails me, or even tells me they read it), so these are now going to be my notes on my own personal 4e Eberron conversion.

The "Official" 4e Eberron Campaign book doesn't come out 'til summer, and frankly, I don't intend to wait that long to play in the world.

Some changes are going to be made, but not so much that it's unrecognizable. I have no love for the Royal Houses or their dragonmarks, so they're probably both going to be eliminated. Honestly, they just complicate things and no one uses them anyway. I tried incorporating them and the character I counted on as the lynch-pin ended up dropping out before we started. We can always add royalty, but I'm eliminating the dragonmarks and their associated feats.

I'm also ret-conning and eliminating the Changeling and Kalashtar races. Neither are game-breakers. Besides, I'm considering limiting (or banning, to use the real term) psionics all together. They only unbalance the game for everyone and there's not a lot of motivation for me to use them if they're just going to break my game.

Besides, the Epic Adventurers permanently severed the Material Plane from the Astral Plane in the last game, and I feel like making that stick. Also, I want Mindflayers to be scary as fuck. So, in the intervening 5 or 10 years between then and now, there has been absolutely no contact with the githzerai, githyanki, or even the Astral Plane.

The Shadowfell and Feywild are easy to incorporate as they only had contact with the Astral plane and stuck mostly to the Material Plane otherwise.

Warforged and Shifters are staying in, as they are vastly cooler both visually and mechanically. Besides, 4e is ga-ga for Eberron as it is, with warforged and shifters being included in the 4e Monster Manual right off the bat.

As for new races, the dragonborn are a little tricky, but nothing that can't have come out of Argonnessen. Perhaps they've been mistaken for half-dragons for centuries and are now declared their own separate race. The tieflings have always been around, but now they might be slightly more predominant if a player chooses to use them as a character, but I doubt they'll affect the game (or be affected) at all. Eladrin have been around forever, but most people don't know the difference between an elf and an eladrin (or a half-elf for that matter) if they were standing in front of them.

Xen'drik is still as unexplored and dangerous as ever. That's probably where I'll focus most of the adventures as soon as they're up for it, though, honestly, I've been doing some research on the Greyhawk world as more of a blank slate. Meh. We'll see.

That's the start at any rate. More edits to come.


S.

1 comment:

Terran said...

I send you letters, so there. Here's a comment for good measure, too. I wasn't a big fan of the Houses or Dragonmarks. I always felt like they weren't necessary (kind of like the Spellplauge in the new Forgotten Realms setting). Though, I do like players being descended from royalty. It's a shame Jaime didn't make it for the last campaign. I'm definitely interested to play Eberron again.